Utilize these free resources for 6th-8th grade classrooms to develop key STEM, critical thinking and problem-solving skills in your students. All resources are aligned to national education standards.
Reinforce core math and science concepts with these real-world mining challenges.
- Students will research the antimicrobial properties of copper, test copper's effects on microbes using copper sulfate to determine its efficacy at killing bacteria.
- Students investigate the impact of mining on the environment by conducting research into a specific mineral, such as copper, and categorize the mining methods and their effects.
- Students take a deeper look into the process of copper extraction using a hands-on lab to help simulate and visualize how copper comes from ore!
- Students become immersed in a classroom investigation to separate several materials and track them back to their original pure substance.
- Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world problems.
- Investigate the distribution and patterns of natural mineral resources and draw conclusions about where copper bearing minerals are found around the world.
Students become immersed in various authentic digital simulations, created to provide a deeper understanding of copper and how it relates to their everyday lives!
Virtual Field Trip Archive
Inspire your students to explore metals in their everyday lives with an inside look into the world of copper extraction.
From lesson plans, to career exploration games to STEM programs and statistics, you’ll find a plethora of resources here that help prepare students and teachers for STEM success.